Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stand Up For Kids

Did you know that there are 1.3 to 1.6 Million homeless teens/kids on the streets of America in an average year? Every year, assault, illness, and suicide claim the lives of approximately 5,000 runaway and homeless youth. One in every seven youth will run away from home by the age of 18.

I've been doing quite a bit of self analyzing lately. So much has happened over the last several years, leading me to where I am now. And to where I'm not. The last few months have been pretty tough, but while I've definitely weathered a fair number of difficulties in my life, I know that I am very blessed.

A couple of months ago I started feeling weighed down with something that I couldn't explain. After soul searching and a lot of prayer, I've realized that I have been called. I understand that this is a foreign and strange concept for many people - and believe me, it was to me as well. I was so confused, still not 100% clear (but close), and just didn't know what was going on...or why I was feeling the way I was.

Without getting too deeply into it, especially since it's really tough for me to even put this whole experience in to words, I'll just give you the end of the story...

I'm going to be volunteering for a non-profit organization called Stand Up For Kids. I will be the Director of Outreach here in the Tampa area. You can read about it, if you'd like, at the link below. I am really excited to make a difference. I've been missing coaching so much over the last couple years, it will be good to work with kids again. And I really feel like this is one of the reasons - if not THEE reason - I was so compelled to move down here.

So...check it out...and pray for these kids who so desperately need someone. And if you maybe have an hour to spare each week, look for one in your area.
Click here to read about STAND UP FOR KIDS

2 comments:

Margo Lynn Laug said...

That is fantastic Angie! What an amazing, fulfilling way to spend your spare time. I'm sure you'll touch many lives.

Bernadette said...

I love this! It is perfect for you. You have so much to share with others and I know this will be something fantastic, yet challenging in your life.